We can find out more about the soldiers named on the War Memorial from the War Memorial Register records. Forms were sent out by the Secretary of the City of Derry War Memorial Committee to the next of kin of the fallen soldiers.
The forms were sent out to the family to confirm or amend the information. The forms were then returned to the Committee prior to the names being included on the War Memorial itself. The forms contain the following information about each soldier:
- Christian or Forenames (in full)
- Regimental Number
- Military Honours
- Particulars of Company, Battery, etc., and, in case of Naval Units, the name of the Ship
- Nature of death (if desired and if particulars are available)
- Date of death
- Native place of deceased (if not a native of Londonderry state connection with City)
- Any other particulars in reference to Soldier (if desired)
- Signature of next of kin
- Relationship of next of kin
- Address of next of kin
Now available for UK research is the new second edition of the best selling Tracing Your Family History on the Internet: A Guide for Family Historians, whilst my new book British and Irish Newspapers is also now out. And FindmyPast - please reinstate the original Scottish census citations on your new site.