Sunday 2 June 2013

Knock Burial Ground records on Belfast cemeteries site

I'm not a hundred per cent sure this is actually news - but as it is the first time I have noticed it, so thought I'd better share it anyway!

Until now, when searching the Belfast City Council cemeteries website at www.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialrecords/, I have only found results in Roselawn, City Cemetery and Dundonald. On using the site a few moments ago I was surprised to see burials now present also for Knock Burial Ground, at Knockmount Park. I did a quick search on the council site and found the following description at www.belfastcity.gov.uk/cemeteries/knock.asp:

Burials no longer take place at the site, which is enclosed by a high stone wall. It contains 18th century headstones inscribed with the names of local townlands such as Ballyhackamore, Ballymacarrett, Bloomfield, Castlereagh, Dunover, Gilnahirk, Knock, Mountpottinger and Tullycarnet.

Although these areas lie within Belfast today, they were once regarded as countryside and farmland.

The oldest gravestone in Knock Burial Ground dates from 1644. Other more recent headstones refer to those killed in World War I, for example, Privates J Corbett and Henry Best who were killed in action at Dunkirk on 28 May 1940.

So it may or may not be a recent addition - but either way, I hope it helps!

Chris

My new book, Tracing Your Irish Family History on the Internet, is now available from Pen and Sword. My next Pharos Scottish course, Scotland 1750-1850: Beyond the Old Parish Registers, starts May 15th - see http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/scotland-1750-1850-beyond-oprs-starts.html. Time to smash a few brick walls...!

No comments:

Post a Comment