Tuesday 12 February 2013

I have in my hand... my new book!

It's finally arrived! I received my first copy today of my latest book, entitled Tracing Your Irish Family History on the Internet.

The first thing I was surprised at was the fact that there has been a slight redesign on the cover, as it now appears that there is a sponsorship agreement of some sort in place between Pen and Sword, the publisher, and FindmyPast (www.findmypast.co.uk). This means that the FindmyPast logo is now found at the bottom of the cover and my name moved up a bit to the title area, so nice to be made to feel as if I am moving up in the world (at least on covers)!

The contents of the book are listed as follows, to give you an idea of what to expect:

Glossary
Preface

Chapter 1
Gateways, Institutions and Networks ; Recording information ; Gateway sites ; Irish archives ; British archives ; Libraries ; Heritage
Societies ; Commercial vendors ; Networking and communication

Chapter 2
The Vital Records ; Civil registration ; Other civil records sources ; Adoption ; Indexes in Britain ; Overseas British records ; Matheson’s Reports ; Parish registers ; Burials ; Wills and probate ; Biographical resources ; Arms ; Newspapers ; Books and other periodicals

Chapter 3 
Where They Lived ; Census records ; 1901 and 1911 ; 1821–1891 census remnants ; British census records ; 1939 UK National Identity Register ; Other censuses ; Census substitutes ; Land records ; Other land listings ; Maps and gazetteers ; Photographs

Chapter 4 
Occupations ; The military ; Crime and punishment ; Merchant Navy ; Other professions ; The poor

Chapter 5
Ulster

Chapter 6 
Munster

Chapter 7
Connacht

Chapter 8
Leinster

Chapter 9 
The Irish Diaspora ; Emigration ; United States ; Canada ; Australia ; New Zealand ; South America ; Europe ; Ireland reaching out

Further Reading
Index


There will be a competition on this blog in the next few days to give away a free copy of the book, so stay tuned! It will also be on sale next week in London at the Who Do You Think You Are Live event, with book signings on Saturday 23rd at 4pm, and Sunday 24th at 11am - I believe they will be at the Your Family History/Pen and Sword stall, which is Stall 920. Pre-orders for the book, which does not officially go on sale until April, can be made via www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Tracing-Your-Irish-History-on-the-Internet/p/3889/

I hope you enjoy it, and that it is of help to your research!


Chris

Pre-order my new book, Tracing Your Irish Family History on the Internet, through Pen and Sword (30 April 2013), or purchase early at Who Do You Think You Are Live 2013 in London. For my other genealogy books, please visit  http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/p/my-books.html; whilst for my online Scottish based genealogy courses please visit the Pharos Teaching and Tutoring Ltd site.

2 comments: